The Role of Dry Ice and Nitrogen in the
If you are working in the 3PL industry, you understand how important the choice of freezing agent is or the concepts of Dry Ice vs. Liquid Nitrogen.
There are best practices when shipping frozen foodstuff as per the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act.Dry Ice vs. Liquid Nitrogen is affect temperature. The temperature best practices must be adhered to from when a shipment is dispatched to the time it reaches its destination. All the processes involving, the type of freezing agents used, the sanitary provisions as well as the trace ability of food technology is referred to as Cold Chain. Most
companies either use dry ice commonly known as solid Carbon (IV) Oxide or Liquid Nitrogen.
Benefits of Using Dry Ice in the 3PL Industry
• It is easier to use dry ice much more than liquid nitrogen
• Dry ice has extreme cold and stable temperature of Negative 78.5 degrees Celsius which is
excellent for cooling
• Dry ice converts instantly from solid-state to gas without releasing and fluids or residue
• When it turns to gas form, it becomes 1.5 times heavier than air thus making the surrounding area
to be germ and bacteria-free
• It is non-flammable, tasteless, non-toxic and is odorless
The Benefits of Liquid Nitrogen in the 3PL Industry
• Ensures products stay frozen at the stable -150 degrees Celsius for more than ten days
• Reduces the chances of temperature excursion or sample degradation
• It is safe and green as liquid nitrogen can be recycled
• It is cost-effective
The process of liquefying Nitrogen gas can seem to be somehow complicated, and this comes with
a cost.Dry Ice vs. Liquid Nitrogen does take hold of some debate. Carbon, on the other hand, has its impacts on the environment. Always ensure you
understand the drawbacks of each other to choose the safest for shipping food products and one
that will save cost on your shipment.
Take control of your Hazmat transport that can assure you transparency from the port to your destination nationwide, request a free quote today and discover your hazmat logistics solution.